SEARCH



SUBSCRIBE





TWITTER



ARCHIVES




LABELS

Purpose
Simply to chronicle my journey at being a Godly, Christian father as my mission. Something I am praying for more fathers to do, consider their being a father as a mission that God has called them into. I am hoping that blogging my struggles in this journey might be used by God to help someone else in similar struggles on a similar journey. Also, I am hoping that by committing to doing this that it will force me to examine my steps on this journey and be more diligent at obedience and seeking wisdom at every turn, i.e. letting go of my selfish desires and giving in to God's desires. READ THIS to hear my story and how I got here now.


RECENT POSTS

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Why? Because My Wife Wanted It?

I must admit most of the opposition I get to my decision to reverse my vasectomy and let God decide the size of our family is that I let my wife nag/push/force me into it. That I did it just because she wanted it. Um, no. Let me clarify that a little. It is true that she was the first to realize the proper direction and to bring it up to me on many occasions. That just means that she was first to be right. It is true that her passion in this direction far preceded my own belief that this was even the correct direction. Does that mean I caved and let her have her way because I am weak or was sick of hearing her talk about it? Absolutely not.

Even when I finally decided to do this, I was not completely on board with the idea of it all because I refused to pray about it or research the scriptures on it. I did not WANT to believe it was right because it was uncomfortable and difficult and I didn't want that. When I decided to do this it was with the idea that I am commanded by God to love my wife and give myself up for her as Christ did the church (Ephesians 5:25). If this is what it takes to do that, then I can do that. I also want to be very clear that I now believe that she was right all along and I was dense. More on that later.

If you are the wife of a man who feels he is done with the "having kids" thing and he wants to not have more kids (blessings) and get a vasectomy... if you are at the point where you feel that you do not want to "nag" him into doing it because of you... I urge you not to give in. That does not mean you have to nag or push or fight about it. Prayer does bring miracles, I am proof of that. I am hardheaded and my wife stopped pushing and started praying and even got a couple of her friends to pray about it, also. Well, it worked as God changed my heart. It was a strange path it took to get here now, but it was what it took to teach me the lessons I had to learn. I originally did this for my wife. There's nothing wrong with that at all. I ultimately came to believe she was right, even if I wasn't there in the beginning.

As far as my belief that it is right... There are so many places in scripture where it talks about children being a blessing, God controlling the womb (opening it and closing it), having faith that God knows best, that many children are a blessing. Oh, but that is a different time and a different culture, right? God is unchanging, my friends. I don't think he cares much for our culture anyway. There are also many places in scripture where people make their own choices, that they feel are correct and good but are based on their own knowledge. But each decision that they made, it turned out, was against the will of God, and those choices led to so many bad ends. Adam and Eve, Abraham and Sarah, Cain, Saul, the nation of Israel... and that is just in the first few books of the Bible.

I have asked many times for someone to find me ONE scripture reference that says it is ok for me to be in control of the size of my family. Just one. Or hey, how about a scripture reference that says that I have the common sense to make any decision on my own. If we had any sense, we would make sure our lives were mirroring scripture. I can find a lot of scripture that says it is up to God but have never seen one or been shown one that says it can be up to me. Shouldn't that be enough?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your testimony. We are currently expecting our fourth blessing. My husband wants to get a vasectomy. I thought I might want that too until I prayed about it and realized that would be taking control into our own hands and not allowing God to control this area of our lives. I've shared these thoughts with my husband. He sees my point but keeps saying, "I don't want to end up with 10 children." I have to admit that scares me too but I'd rather trust in God and do what I know is right. I just keep praying he will have a change of heart. Time will tell. Thank you,
Christy

Unknown said...

Yes, by all means, keep praying... my wife did and God changed my heart, and I have been blessed by that. I pray your husband can eventually come to embrace a mission of being a father and the blessings that God can heap on him by being faithful to that call. Thank you.

Lori said...

Thank you for this. Thank you and thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. This is right where I'm at right now. My husband and I have five children, which I am so thankful for! I would LOVE more but my husband says no. It is a huge issue between us and it causes me alot of worry. It feels like we are in a "tug of war" with each other over this. I've been praying for God to reach him and show him truth or to change me to be content with what is. I hate having any conflict between us. I believe that God gave me the strong desire for more children though, so I don't believe it's likely that he'll change MY mind. God's brought me to where I am on this issue through prayer and His Word. I live in fear that one day my husband will just get a vasectomy against my wishes. Like I said, we both feel very strong on our separate sides of this issue. It's a blessing to read your story of how God reached you through prayer. I know God is the ONLY One who can change my husband's heart and mind. I will keep praying expectantly!